Thursday, October 13, 2005

Odd Art: the Untold Story

Between one thing and another, I have been sadly neglecting this little blog. So I am posting another part to my series on Very Odd Art.


This modern masterpiece was created by British bad girl artist, Tracy Emin, and is titled "My Bed". It was nominated for a very prestigious art award (the Turner Prize) in 1999.

Basically, Emin took a matress with crumpled, dirty sheets and pillows; she added panty-hose, a towel, vodka bottles, slippers, underwear, cigarettes, condoms and pharmaceuticals, Polaroid snapshots and a stuffed animal. Critics raved about the cluttered reality of the work and the confusion between life and art.

Somehow, it moves me deeply. The more so due to the fact that I could take my bed and nominate it for some sort of prestigious award. My closet is also quite impressive-- you would not believe how artistically cluttered it is with hangers, shoes, nylons, dresses, hats and various other odds & ends. I hope that someone will be kind enough to discover me, pay me oodles and oodles of money, and nominate me for an award.

Doesn't my artistic lifestyle merit that sort of thing?

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy black velvet Elvis paintings more than this. (Sorry to be cranky). Getting a REALLY GOOD black velvet Elvis is actually a lifelong desire of mine.

6:42 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I love this one! And her tent...what was that one? Every Guy I've Ever Slept With?

I saw something at the Smithsonian last summer, and I'm totally kicking myself for not remembering the dude's name. It was in the same vein as the tent, a painting that looked like a slate chalkboard that had the name of everyone who had any influence on his life ever, written in very grade school cursive. I thought it was brilliant, and have never been able to think of the guy's damn name or the title of the piece since.

10:19 AM  
Blogger L said...

Professor: I will probably add a black velvet Elvis to my Odd Art series at one point

Portuguesa Nova: I just wish that I'd thought of it first

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where does she sleep now? I think that's the interesting part of it. Maybe, since she gave up her bed for her art, she also gave up sleeping for it.

She deserves the award if she gave up sleeping, I think. ;)

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bed: Sheets, blanket, pillows, clock, stacks of magazines and books.

The clock is on the bed next to my head because otherwise I'll never hear the alarm. its not unusual for me to roll over in the night and books and magazines fall everywhere.

IT'S ART!!!!!!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I "love" the sensationalist touch of saying it's her actual bed, how titillating. That really makes it worth more. The Turner prize has turned into a joke. If they can't appreciate art and have more money than they know what to do with, they should be giving it away to the poor.

10:12 PM  
Blogger L said...

Lisa: she probably made oodles of money to buy another

Brenda: sounds like art to me :)

Mariana: No! They should be giving it away to me!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha,ha..They have a fence around her scuzzy bed..

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, she does that a lot. the sour-faced lunatic...

10:13 PM  
Blogger L said...

Happy&Blue: yes, it is rather scuzzy

drunkenmachine: I just wish I had thought of it first!

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. So what can be said of a person who observes this piece of art and feels right at home and comfy?

10:13 PM  
Blogger L said...

weary hag: hmmm... don't want to comment on that one :)

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I recognize that bed...

10:14 PM  
Blogger L said...

ha ha! probably everyone does!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home