Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Volunteering My Services

I'm a highly sheltered, goody-two-shoes, bleeding heart crybaby so I thought it might be a good idea to fill out a volunteer form for the Red Cross.

While I had exciting visions of rolling bandages, completing daring helicoptor rescues, and soothing the fevered brow of exhausted young firefighters and floodworkers, I realize that in reality they will probably just ask me to box bottled water or do light office work.

They asked if I knew C.P.R.
No
They asked if I could drive a forklift or tractor trailer
No
They asked if I had any medical training
No
They asked me if I spoke another language fluently
No
They asked me if I knew how to do anything even remotely useful.
I said I could write with my toes

So, I also decided to donate just in case. If you are interested in donating towards hurricane relief, go to the RedCross.org site.

Getting a ham radio operator's license sounded interesting, though. Maybe I'll look into that.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Writing with your toes sounds very useful. How many words per minute?

7:52 PM  
Blogger L said...

not very many, I'm afraid

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, keep on keeping on!

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you ambidextrous? or can you only writ with your right toes?

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My neighbor is a ham operator and can help you get set up.

D

7:53 PM  
Blogger L said...

Ron: hello there

Mr. Anigans: I am only right-footed, I'm afraid

Deb: that actually sounds interesting (as long as it's not TOO expensive)... I heard you can talk to people from all over the place...

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I donated today. My company will also match my donation. I also, after several years of missing, donated blood a couple of months ago and plan to do it again soon. Basically, I'm a wuss but it's time to stand up.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for your donation! And a ham radio license sounds like it might come in handy when our esteemed leader continues his plot for world domination and life as we know it ceases to exist.

Or for some other reason completely too, I'm sure.

I'm glad you tried/did sign up to volunteer. Good for you!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home