Monday, August 29, 2005

Happy Birthday, JPR!

Here's a little birthday post for one of my favorite "little" brothers: JPR

We had some really good times growing up

I should probably apologize for:
1. Calling him "curly-locks" to make him cry
2. Hogging the matchbox cars and Star Wars action figures
3. Making a hole in his door
4. Telling on him
5. Trying to push him out of photos when he was a baby
6. Coloring on his bedsheets and trying to blame him for it
7. Sticking my lima beans on his plate when he wasn't looking
8. Laughing when he was caught and I wasn't
9. Putting soap on his toothbrush
10. Playing "Pharmacy" by mixing a bunch of old medications together in a bowl and trying to convince him to drink it.

But we had some good times too:
1. Going camping and looking for cool rocks
2. Playing "King and Queen": making elaborate thrones out of cardboard bricks, dressing up and giving each other royal commands
3. Playing "Indians": sitting on the backyard shuffleboard court and crushing seeds from the bottlebrush tree to make Indian acorn bread
4. Playing "Funeral": burying all the dead bugs we could find, giving them names, having little funeral processions and designing little tombstones for them
5. Making tents out of all the clean towels and sheets in the house until Mom yelled at us
6. Climbing trees and eating oranges until we were full
7. Sneaking through the neighborhood making maps of everyone's backyards
8. Riding bicycles and racing each other around that cranky old man's circle driveway
9. Going to Farrell's and Larry's Ice Cream Parlor
10. Catching blue crabs with raw chicken and running away screaming when they escaped from the bucket.

Happy Birthday!

11 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I am always telling him that, but I'm not quite sure if he believes me yet. I think I'm largely responsible for building the strong character he exhibits today

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL!!!!!! Great memories!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite: Making maps of peoples backyards. It was always fun almost getting caught.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...you had a cute childhood.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should probably apologize for putting that Brillo pad on his head too, and then trying to water him.
Happy Birthday JPR! By the way, how old are you guys? That photo would probably date you both somewhere in the 100's.

P.S. Hmm. Maps of people's backyards? Did you also both work for Hoover's FBI?

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny. It reminds me of some of the insane things my older sibs did to me. Yet I still speak to them. Go figure!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was good.

A very Happy Birthday to your little torture victim -- make that little bro.

Cheers.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, I was a younger sis, so I know all about such pain and torture. Happy birthday to your brother

7:59 PM  
Blogger L said...

Rhodent: yeah, especially the screaming and running away from all the crabs we caught

jpr: yeah, that was fun. I drew tons of those things

mr. anigans: yes, and that's why I'm so cute and adorable now

Lisa: I am 32 and JPR just turned the BIG 30! Apparently, he is still recovering.

Carmi: I think it's a rite of passage we all must go through. Besides, it's character-building

Curator: heh heh

Mariana: I think it is better to be the oldest, except for the fact that you have to learn how to change diapers

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the oldest, I never experienced what your brother must have. I always try to imagine what it would have been like not to have been the oldest. Your brother should post on that sometime.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that eating any amount of oranges could ever make JPR full...

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home