Thursday, June 16, 2005

I Can't Pass Up A Book Meme -- They're So Sassy



From Theomorph:

How many books have you owned?
I'm not really sure that I want to answer this one... over 1,000 currently I think (I haven't counted lately). I am geeky enough to seriously consider getting an antique card catalogue... or perhaps designing a small database with a cute little user interface...

What was the last book you bought?
The last time I went shopping I think I bought the following:
1. a biography of Hannibal
2. a book of naughty old poetry called Forbidden Fruit
3. a book of Shirley Jackson stories
4. a new copy of Foucalt's Pendulum by Eco (to replace one that I've mislaid)
5. Last Love In Constantinople by Milorad Pavic (because Dictionary of the Khazars was kind of groovy)
6. a teensy cookbook with a lovely lamb recipe

What was the last book you read?
I am in the middle of several, a couple of which I've already read:
1. Comprehensive Chess Course (a friend lent it to me, and I keep putting it down then picking it up again)
2. Boswell's Life of Johnson, volume 2
3. Silas Marner
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. The Complete Henry Root Letters

What are five books that have meant a lot to you?
Only five? A few I've really liked...

1. Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky)
2. Where The Sidewalk Ends (Silverstein)
3. Labyrinths (Borges)
4. Philisophical Investigations (Wittgenstein)
5. 84, Charing Cross Road (Hanff)

Tagging....
Jim Bliss (although I vaguely recall that you may have done this....?)
Mr. Anigans (because I dig your film choices)
Ms. Vile (because I know how much you love memes)
Laziest Girl (although you may have done it already and I missed it...?)
Carmi (because you have an interesting perspective on everything)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice collection of books. I will have to look into a few mentioned I haven't read. enjoyed it!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you recommend a sturdy book that would be useful for leveling my dining room table. It should be 1/2 inch thick and not very large. I don't want anyone to kick it with their foot when they sit down.
Oh yeah, and my carpet is a rust color if that helps..

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like a paperback thin enough to fit in my back pocket but tall enough to show the title flapping above my big bubbly man butt. That's where quality lit belongs, frankly.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear L: Thanks for answering about Haloscan. Just for your info, if it's ever important enough, you can still get at the email address (if your visitor left one) by clicking the Haloscan button and entering the Manage Comments section. The name of the commenter given on the left is actually a mailto (if an address was given). But that's a good bit of trouble unless you have some important private communication you need to make!

I liked your lists. I have read the first and last of your five that have had an effect on your life.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag, my dear!

I may have to run off to the nearest bookshop and do some fast reading. I don't think my current reading material of the TV Guide and vintage recipe books would be suitably impressive.

10:01 PM  
Blogger L said...

mark: thanks!

happy&blue: I would go with a law book or the Oxford English dictionary

spirit of owl: heh heh

Ron: yeah, don't you just love Helene Hanff?

Ms. Vile: you're welcome, my dear. And vintage recipe books always make for wonderful reading, especially if they include far-out jello recipes.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got some great books on the current line-up!
I'm definitely with you on the Borjes pick for influential books!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting books, my #1 if I hd to choose Crime and Punishment. I even was able to put it's cover and link on my new writing blog.

Love Shel Silverstein's work. And you have no idea that I love "Wizard of Oz" from my Good Vibrations blog of "living over the rainbow!". Great post.

10:01 PM  
Blogger L said...

Anonymous: Borges is always wonderful, and is one of my all-time favorites

Green-Eyed Lady: I have always loved Silverstein. Especially the poem about the little girl who ate the whale because she said she would.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home