Saturday, May 07, 2005

Friday: I Associate With Itinerant Misfits And Artists

This glamorous young Girl-Around-Tampa is definitely all around Tampa this weekend. It's completely exhausting! I may require a soothing massage.
Last night I trickled on over to the Itinerant Misfits show at the Matthews Gallery; it featured two very fun artists, Brandt Peters and Kathie Olivas, who ensured that the show was adorably twisted. A couple of collaborative pieces with Brandon Dunlap were also included.

I barely had time to ogle the art, however, as I was quite busy giving air kisses and having standard art show conversations like this:

Person 1: "Ooh! You look SO adorable! That's the cutest outfit EVER!"
Person 2: "Oh no" (coy smile) "You are MUCH cuter than I am! Where did you get that skirt?"
Person 1: "La France.... I just can't compete with your adorableness! you are ALWAYS the cutest person here!"
Person 2: "No, you're cuter!"
Person 1: "No, you are!"
Person 2: "You're just saying that-- you're so cute I almost hate you!"
Person 1: "I hate you more!"

The standard format is to wander aimlessly around the room and repeat ad nauseum.

Ran into a bunch of friends, who all promised quite sincerely to each other that we would all get together very soon for bowling/brunch/movies/poker/dinner parties, etc. Saw my friend Britzel, who looked like a glamorously beautiful Muppet with a screaming red crew cut and a bright blue outfit with blue Earth shoes. Someone, who shall remain nameless, was trying too hard to be Frank Sinatra again, but wound up being Dean Martin instead, spilling red wine all over Maelyn's dress. However, this was not a total loss as she has the most adorable pout ever.

Later a bunch of us toddled on over to a yummy little restaurant on Davis Islands and had wine with brie and fruit. Unfortunately, I sat at the opposite end of the table from the amusingly perverted conversation.... all I could overhear were obscene innuendoes about jelly danishes or jelly fritters or something. Oh, why do I always get stuck talking about current events and pets and things like that?

Off to a Kentucky Derby Hat Party!

15 Comments:

Blogger Panthergirl said...

I love the images you come up with! So hilarious.

Wish I had a hat party to go to... :(

5:44 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

For times like this, I wish restaurant tables came with lazy susans so we could quickly zip beside a whole new set of seatmates.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for letting me live the life of the hip by proxy (this is one of my favorite things about blogs). Forget about Frank and Dean. Where was Bobby Darin?

9:01 AM  
Blogger L said...

panthergirl: you could always throw your own hat party :)

Carmi: that's an excellent idea-- someone should market that

comfort addict: I wouldn't say "hip" exactly....

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't miss much at the other end of the table-- yes plenty of sex talk, but Johnny kept reminding us to watch our language-- how can you possibly talk about disgusting sex acts and not say the word "fuck"

And, no you were by far the cutest...
-KO

4:13 PM  
Blogger L said...

thank you Kathie :)

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*L*

Loved that post. The dialogue was hilarious. Felt like I was there.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just realized *horrified* that I haven't put you on my link page, I don't think.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they were murmuring about jelly bellies, L.

We want to see hat photos, please.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog....adding it to my list.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time, no random speakin' to ya, L. Thanks for stopping by. great post! and those hat parties are everywhere today!

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. That was funny. I felt I was there rolling my eyes :) Nice site too.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read your blog I get to reminisce as my life was fun filled and eventful, too, just six months ago.

And then I decided to become a mommy. And the baby isn't even here yet! I need to get out.

11:22 PM  
Blogger L said...

thanks for the compliments... and don't worry Carol, there's always babysitters :)

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gr8 post... ROFL...you need to come to one of my artshows for real conversation, not to mention astounding art. :)

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home