Wednesday, January 04, 2006

National Trivia Day!

As everyone knows, today was National Trivia Day, which is a holiday so near and dear to our hearts.

I certainly hope that everyone remembered to celebrate!

After all, that game of Trivial Pursuit is just gathering dust in the hall closet. And those fuzzy hats and lederhosen are not going to wear themselves!

In honor of the holiday, I am actually donning my spectacles and posting for the second day in a row, which is really quite the shocking turn of events.


Trivial Pursuits and Other Important Facts (A Quiz)
educational answers below

1. What did Pope Pius IX send as a birthday present to Queen Isabella II of Spain (she displayed it in the Royal Chapel)?

2. 1975 U.S. Presidential Candidate, Emil Matalik, suggested what city as the ideal capital of the world?

3. During the mid-nineteenth century naval battle between Brazil and Uruguay, what was used as cannon shot, subsequently causing the shrapnel deaths of at least two Brazilian sailors?

4. According to Science News, what is the standard acronym for "pulse-modulated coherent Doppler effect X-band pulse-repetition synthetic-array pulse compression side lobe planar array"?

5. For several weeks in 1963, approximately 900 people in Uganda experienced an epidemic of mass hysteria, which caused them to do what?

6. The sleeve buttons on men's suit jackets were first implemented for Prussian soldiers by Frederick the Great in order to do what?

7. What world leader appeared as an extra in the film Bathing Beauty (starring Esther Williams)?

8. British philosopher Jeremy Bentham placed what type of object in every single room of his house, including the bathroom?

9. The act of opening a milk carton so badly that you have to try the other side is called what?

10. The children's author, Hans Christian Andersen, constantly carried a coil of rope with him for what reason?






Answers:
1. the embalmed body of Saint Felix
2. Bennett, Wisconsin
3. stale Dutch cheese
4. PUMCODOXPUSACOMLOPAR
5. run wildly through the streets while screaming and clutching chickens
6. prevent the men from wiping their noses on their sleeves
7. Fidel Castro
8. pianos
9. lactomangulation
10. He had a phobia of being caught in a hotel fire

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you stumped me on all of these.

I can't wait to see your January 5 blog for--of course--National Bean Day.

1:40 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I knew I was getting dumber since college.

The only one I got right was the one about the milk cartons. But duh, everyone knows about lactomangulation.

10:47 AM  
Blogger L said...

My Dear Professor: I have posted extensively on farting in the past-- but forgot all about National Bean Day. Unfortunately, I suppose I shall have to catch it next year :) but you can console yourself with the following post I wrote previously: http://randomspeak.blogspot.com/2005/01/i-visit-my-appendixless-friend-also.html

Portuguesa nova: You wouldn't believe how dumb I'VE become since college. It's a wonder that I'm actually a fully functioning adult

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lainey, National Bean Day is different than National Flatulence Day, which is coming up in February:
http://www.goldenapplecomics.com/pompeii/february99/fart.html
Your previous fart blog was a masterpiece, if you don't have the book cited on this link you must get it.

11:43 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Rats, my 'cheese' guess was for number 1.

11:50 PM  
Blogger L said...

professor: wow! a great link!

glomgold: heh heh

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love TP! I have 15 versions!

Other than that, I suck at it miserably. Oh, and I tagged you for a meme. You can do it if you want It doesn't matter either way to me; I only did it because I thought it was a good way to start off the new year. I also added a catagory (the book one, of course) so you can add or take away at your own discretion ...

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't celebrate National Trivia Day. In fact here in Canada today is "move ahead one day on the garbage pickup cycle" day. There is much excitement and singing done today. And trivia is not spoken of at all..

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neato trivia about Hans Christian Anderson. I love trivia about famous people of history, secret obsessions, phobias and stuff. For instance, Harry Houdini always considering Halloween to be an unlucky day - and then him dying on a Halloween. And, I think it was Pres. Roosevelt who was rumored to wear women's clothes once in awhile in private. I wonder if there's a book about that kind of trivia. There's gotta be one somewhere. Any trivia website suggestions?

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J Edgar Hoover was the alleged crossdresser actually.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I speak for everybody when I say the embalmed body of a saint is the best gift EVER!

9:53 PM  
Blogger L said...

April: I haven't played TP in simply AGES! I'm really more of a Scrabble geek myself (can never answer the sports questions)... I will check out the meme

Happy&Blue: Canada totally sounds like a rockin' place

Lisa: heh heh--- you are asking the right person... I love weird trivia, as well as trashy and scandalous history. Typically, books are the best sources, and I would direct you to the following: The Mammoth Book of Oddballs and Eccentrics (by Karl Shaw); Best, Worst and Most Unusual (by Bruce Felton and Mark Fowler), any of the Ripley's Believe It or Not compilations with odd covers (you know 'em when you see 'em), The History and Lore of Freaks (by C.J.S. Thompson), and many, many more! You can't always trust websites for important, edukashonal information.

Mariana: some churches still have them... or sometimes just preserved heads, fingers, etc. I think I'd just prefer chocolate myself :)

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a preserved saint sitting at a piano in my room full of coiled ropes so I can enjoy viewing him/her while I madly try to open the @#*^_(@#*$& milk carton from all sides. What are the chances I could find such a thing?

9:54 PM  
Blogger L said...

mark: me too, and I don't know what to tell you :)

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home