Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Lovely Friday, During Which We Attend ART Basel and Get Lost in Miami

We have been having a marvelous time in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, even though we became really, really lost and accidentally toured Miami's mentally ill crackhead dope dealer neighborhood before getting stuck in rush hour traffic for about five hours.

It was most Disconcerting.


However, ART Basel was fun and interesting. And "money". And exhausting. We may possibly return today.

Unfortunately, cameras were not allowed, and the Miami Beach Convention Center was swarming with security. So I was unable to lift any of the art and take it home with me. I saw a smallish sort of Chuck Close painting that would have looked nice in my foyer too.

Most of the art was by famous older and/or dead artists like Picasso, de Chirico, Rauschenberg, etc. There wasn't very much that was surprising, and young emerging artists were in the minority. However, I saw some nice "paste-up" pieces by JESS, as well as an interesting piece by Lari Pittman. I was a bit mystified by a large artwork composed entirely of Pokemon and PowerPuff girl stickers (!) that was being sold for $95,000. It was very fun, but I think I could have a LOT more fun than that for $95,000; think of all the candy and video games you could buy!

We roamed around picking out the things we liked the most, ate yummy poached salmon with champagne, and ogled the crowd, which was fashionable and contained random people like Todd Oldham.

After we got lost, we drove back to Ft. Lauderdale, baked two delicious apple pies and stayed up playing Scrabble (because we are nerdy like that). I lost, because my Aunt Peggy got a Scrabble with TOTALLY for fifty extra points.

The End.

12 Comments:

Blogger glomgold said...

$95,000 for Buttercup stickers? That's like $94,998.50 profit! I suck at Scrabble. I'm no good at using the bonus squares.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Scrabble and apple pie part sounds great!

11:19 PM  
Blogger L said...

glomgold: I still can't believe they were asking $95,000 for it, no matter how cool it looked!

My Dear Professor: they were!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the 'paste-ups'. Not firmiliar with that term though, sounds like a fancy way of saying it's a collage.

Sounds like you're having fun.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are having fun...
How does Aunt Peggie always get those Scrabbles?!?

I am emailing you some "fun" pics you may be able to use.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe your Aunt Peggy has some letters up her sleeve..

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lead the best life.

Art museums, fine food, a hot guy.

*sigh*

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would take the Pokemon and Power Puff Girl stickers, pocket the extra change, and go plastering neighborhood heads and knee caps with stickers...
can't beat that kind of artistic fun!

11:40 PM  
Blogger L said...

Lisa: it was a lot of fun, and "paste-ups" are really just a fancy term for collage

Rhodent: I don't know-- she is a fiend at Scrabble!

Happy&Blue: hmm.... perhaps you're right !

Brenda: uh, minus the hot guy now

-C: I bet you would be a lot of fun in a place like Miami

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a lot of candy and video games!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Scrabble. I also play in online and via email as well as my favorite: UPWORDS! ...Anyone here who wants to pay 95 grand for a painting of mine is welcome to...

11:40 PM  
Blogger L said...

Mr. Anigans: yes indeed. and it was also a LOT of stickers

Green Eyed Lady/Silver Moon: it is definitely my favorite game. I don't always win, though

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home