Tuesday, November 15, 2005

ill


Feeling slightly ill.... retiring to bed with a good book trashy novel.

*****

An acquaintance (and fellow Freaks film fan) just sent me the following advertisement, in case anyone is interested:


WANTED: SIDESHOW PERFORMERS!!!

The association “Les Freaks”, created in Paris (France) last year and aiming at promoting young artists of any talent who might feel estranged by nowadays conventional way of grasping art, is currently organizing a party / Sideshow which would occur in Paris by the end of January. We are seeking performers. Being an association, we won’t make any money from the show, and we insist on the fact that our goal is only to make a 30s-sideshow-like background available for you to exhibit your works (check the series “Carnivale”). You may wonder why we are doing all of this for free: the reason is Paris is not as lively and in the vanguard as before and we want to CHANGE it simply because we’re SICK of having to be content with the same old stuff!
Apart from that, we are looking for the following persons:

Fat persons, tattooed persons, snake handlers, blockheads, pincushions, fire breathers, hairy girls, super thin, armless-legless, dwarfs, midgets, 6'5" tall, escape artists, jugglers, glass eaters-dancers, knife throwers, sword-swallowers, Animal acts, conjoined twins, albinos, pygmies, head hunters, eskimos, savages, burlesque-exotic-coochie dancers, story-tellers, roustabouts, security, dog-faced, voodoo witchdoctors, zombies and the undead, somnabulists, spirit mediums, alligator-skinned, geishas, aerialists, etc. etc. etc.

Also persons with strange oddities to exhibit.

And finally, for those who live far far away from Paris and France, we want to let you know that if you’re interested in what we’ve stated below, for sure! you’re welcome! We will make a shelter available for you to spend some holidays in Paris (a cool studio near Montmartre and the Sacré-Coeur! Aren’t we nice?!!)

Please leave us an email on the following profile: http://www.myspace.com/lesfreaks
M. FrankyFreak ( http://www.lesfreaks.com )

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These sideshows used to be common in fairs in rural areas. When I was living in Alabama about 15 years ago, we went to a county fair and they had a full lineup of freak show type dispays, bearded women, etc. They cost extra and I couldn't persuade Mrs. Twain to go in with me (or to let little baby Twain join us). So, I paid $5 to see one that was describd as a "drug addict". No kidding. I went into the tent, and there was kind of a depressed looking, skinny guy with oily hair and lots of tattoos (for back then). He sat quietly on a chair. What a sad little show.
Then we left and watched the women jello wrestling in bikinis. That was a little more upbeat.
Get well soon.

10:16 PM  
Blogger rhbee said...

Two things: On My Name Is Earl the other night, his brother got more than excited by the fact that the circus was coming to town because he remembered last year when they brought the world's tallest midget. At six feet, he was as tall as Earl. And when I was a kid in Memphis, I remember this carnival act that featured a person who dressed half man half woman. They met on a bench and made out. It was an early intro for me to public sexuality. I hope the thought doesn't make you sicker.

5:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

Professor: wow. the whole sideshow history seems very interesting to me, though. and thanks-- I am feeling better....

10:41 PM  
Blogger L said...

R: weird!

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds completely awesome! I wish I could afford the round trip. I'm sure I could pull an act together to fill a couple of those positions, and it would be fun to do. (Get well soon)

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

worm boy always kinda got me.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That advertisement is moderately uncomfortable to read, but I do love the fact that, after the long list of freakoid attractions, they add "Also persons with strange oddities..." as if they haven't yet covered that.

Take care, sweetheart. Hope your trashy novel doesn't get you too excercised.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strangely enough I posted the comment I meant to make apparently to the ad, so here's what it said: On My Name Is Earl the other night, his brother was super excited that the circus was coming to town because last year they had brought the World's Tallest Midget. He remembered him because it turned out he was almost as tall as Earl at six feet.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world's tallest midget? I think I work with her!
She's also the world's most devout Jew..

10:48 PM  
Blogger L said...

Lisa: it does sound really awesome. now I wish that I was covered in tattoos or could do fire breathing or something.

Brenda: thank you -- already on the mend

Mr. Anigans: I always liked Johnny Eck and Randian the Human Torso-- they seemed like such nice people

Larry: I really wish I could go to their sideshow-- it does sound very fun! And I am feeling much better, thank you

rhbee: I originally just had Blogger comments on, but they didn't work properly for a while, so I added Haloscan commenting as well. I didn't remove the Blogger commenting, though, 'cause I was too lazy to copy 'em from one to the other....

none: har har

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just wondering how odd it has to be... hmm, I have some rather interesting looking relatives.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could fit into several of those catagories ... sadly.

10:49 PM  
Blogger L said...

mark: me too

weary hag: you should join then! it sounds like a fun time If I had odd tattoos, I would totally do it

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home