Sunday, November 13, 2005

Bad Art, Good Art, and a Little Texas Hold 'Em

Yes, it was another exciting weekend in the life of L, that terribly glamorous young girl-about-town!

A slightly sloshed evening of poker was in the cards on Saturday, as my artistic friend Brandt celebrated his birthday with yummy tidbits and very small dogs. We played according to the usual rules, and I actually won a hand this time!

Of course I also folded quite frequently, as you can tell from the simply enormous forehead crease above.

Hopefully he will enjoy his gifts from me: two lovely cult classic flicks: Black Tight Killers (featuring '60s Japanese gangsters and female assassins brandishing razor-sharp records!) and Vampyres (a lushly atmospheric lesbian vampire classic)

On Friday, I went to an Absolutely Horrible art show called Gala Corina, which made me want to cry. One or two artists seemed to be going somewhere interesting, but the rest seemed to be obsessed with smiling flamingos, clowns, not-so-good portraits, deadly dull photography and perplexing landscapes and things. Someone has finally discovered the artistic equivalent to being nibbled to death by mice, I'm afraid.

However, it may possibly be the:

because I've never felt so astoundingly sober in my entire life.

However, the weekend was not lost because I also went to a fun little show at an alternative space, Kama Gallery in Ybor City. Kym O'Donnell (associated with Experimental Skeleton and Flight 19) had a very interesting and teensy tiny little show called "I'll Never Learn", which featured black-and-white photography of an imaginary 1960s mod pop singer named Candy Shire-- using a faux documentary style series of images that also feature the "oddest orchestra".

However, the orchestra was really Tampa's Handshake Squad, who apparently hate pop music, but revel in slightly odd lyrics and a mixture of musical styles.

That's all for now. I need to eat some cheese.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time I suggest that you introduce a deck of pinup or nudie playing cards. That will keep the guys preoccupied and you can rake in the big piles of chips.
PT

12:53 AM  
Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said...

HA HA Professor Twain! I was going to say the exact same thing! Great minds think alike, I guess.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

So it has come to gambling and drunkenness. As usual, I am shocked!

4:49 PM  
Blogger L said...

Professor, Brenda: Now why didn't I think of that? Brilliant!

Larry: you are SO easily shocked these days

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute! Did you say the local art scene is pretentious and boring and nobody ever looks like they have any real love or appreciation in their hearts? And they dress like a bunch of predictably outdated teenagers?

Surprise, surprise.

Glad you found eventually found some fun!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

found eventually found, hmmmm, what does that even mean?

I guess just that art annoys me.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what is with the anti-mouse sentiment in this post? I mean REALLY!

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another wonderful art review!Superb.
You're my only source for news of the contemporary art world in Florida.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to you I do not need to leave my house to see what Florida has to offer!

Cheese is always good.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what sort of cheese?

10:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

r* : sometimes it annoys me too -- and many of the shows do seem pretentious (that's why I didn't like Gala Corina -- tons of pretension, but not a lot to back it up)

Rhodent: pretend I said squirrels

Lisa: what there is of it in my area anyway I may take a trip to art BASAL in Miami soon....

Chickie: yes it is (burp)

Mr. Anigans: Manchego, which is my curent favorite

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much fun! You lead such an interesting life. I admit to being a bit green with envy. Your circle of friends reminds me of ones who moved from my area. Oh, yes, they went south.....

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good source for ya:
http://www.coverpop.com/index.ph....php? pop=womens

10:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

Green-Eyed Lady: well, it's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye

tiny: thank you! that site is very cool-- I can see using some of it as reference images for a painting I'm interested in doing...

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poker and art... a great combination. Toss in the cheese and you have a party!

10:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

mark: we had cheese too!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you weren't poked, in the eye, that is. :)

10:52 PM  
Blogger L said...

not this time :)

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home