Sunday, September 04, 2005

Having a Ball

I've been doing my best to get in at least a few irresponsible activities; after all, this is a three day weekend.

While I did get off to rather a bad start (did laundry, worked on a project, washed dishes), I finally came to my senses and joined Debbie, Bill and friends for an evening of beer, raucous conversation and puppy-ogling. Popped on over to Limey's, which is yet another of those faux British pubs, and nibbled on the greasiest fish-and-chips known to man. Admired various charming tattoos. Patted an adorable little Weimaraner with a foot fetish.

Also nibbled a bit of pizza at Cafe Cibo, which serves some decent Italian food. Discussion ranged from the hotness of Colin Firth and aliens impregnating women in Battlestar Galactica to how men have a virgin-whore complex, who was the best James Bond, Benny Hill, and how the Scooby-Doo show went downhill after they added Scrappy. It isn't often that we have such intense coffeehouse-style, philisophical discussions.

After a few beers and martinis, the conversation eventually meandered to recurring dreams of a very odd nature. One person had nightmares about the subway; another had repeated dreams of a giant pink lipstick smothering people on a school bus. At one point during a rather unfortunate lull in restaurant noise, one of the guys stated: "WELL, I KEEP DREAMING ABOUT HAVING TO USE THE BATHROOM, BUT THEN I'M STRAINING AND I HAVE TROUBLE USING IT...".

The entire restaurant shut up.

Crickets buzzed.

Everyone stared.

But after that we had the place pretty much to ourselves.

*********

Signing off now to watch One Armed Swordsman vs. 9 Killers, which is supposed to be quite the campy amputee-kung-fu-assassin classic.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo....is it like crippled masters?


there's a monkey in your pic doing questionable things

11:02 PM  
Blogger L said...

mr. anigans: still haven't seen crippled masters yet but I didn't like it as much as Master of the Flying Guillotine or Riki-Oh. And really, monkeys are ALWAYS doing questionable things: they have sex in public, throw poo at people, and scratch where they itch.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go monkeys!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks Scrappy should have been scrapped. His voice, and his adult head in a puppy's body are the worst.

I haven't had recurring dreams for a long time, but I do remember a time when I used to dream I lived in a hotel room, and couldn't get out and had a pet dog as my only company. That's it.

11:03 PM  
Blogger L said...

jpr: heh heh

Mariana: I should probably collect a few dreams from readers and then do a post analyzing them, eh? I used to have dreams about losing my teeth when I was younger-- probably because I had braces for 8 1/2 years.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eight and a half years??? Isnt' that an excessively long time for braces?
I'll bet you have beautiful teeth.

I absolutely LOVE reading your posts about what all you did on the weekends. I think I am living part-time vicariously through your posts. How troubling is that?

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this suddenly makes me think of the weird amount of ridiculous recurring dreams I've had. Hmmm, maybe a post. . .

11:03 PM  
Blogger L said...

weary hag: yes, I do have rather nice teeth by now Not only did I have braces for 8 1/2 years, but I also had to wear a "Frankel" (a bizarre sort of retainer that makes one resemble a deranged chipmunk) as well as headgear.
And thanks for the compliment-- I'm glad you enjoy reading my little blog

r* -- everything is fodder for a blog post :)

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must have been faux British if they allowed Weimaraners.

How was the flick? For some reason, it made me think of What's Up, Tiger Lily?. I guess that I've been working too hard.

11:04 PM  
Blogger L said...

Comfort Addict: it had a very poor dvd transfer, unfortunately, so I actually preferred What's Up, Tiger Lily

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the movie is so-so? What's Up, Tiger Lily is tough to beat.
I was flipping through your archives and was glad to see you mentioning the "Chinese Ghost Story" movies.

11:04 PM  
Blogger L said...

glomgold: no blog is complete without at least a brief mention of Chinese Ghost Story, The Bride with White Hair, or Mr. Vampire.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your evening out stories. loved the lull in the conversation bit, always good for an embarrassing and deciding moment...

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home