Saturday, May 21, 2005

Saturday: Museum Day

I took my Great Aunt the Golf Fiend out for a lovely day of museum-hopping on "Free Museum Day"; we decided on the Holocaust Museum and Sunken Gardens in order to get the proper complement of contemplation and kitsch.

At the Holocaust Museum, we meandered through hordes of screaming children to contemplate the horrible history of WWII. However, I almost started WWIII after being squished one too many times by the little darlings. But I did enjoy the current exhibit, which included some excellent satirical illustrations and interesting abstract work by artist William Pachner.

At Sunken Gardens, we meandered through hordes of screaming children to contemplate the beautifully kitschy botanical gardens, complete with butterflies, blue and yellow macaws and flamingos doing quite difficult yoga positions. In fact, I was quite disheartened at my lack of progress with yoga after watching them bend themselves into jaw-droppingly twisty pretzel shapes.

I am now contemplating whether or not to purchase a pair of very fine pink plastic lawn flamingos for the yard, as I want to fully embrace my inner Floridian tackiness. Perhaps an alligator head doorstop or seashell chandelier would also do the trick. Choices, choices...

16 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Crazy Monkey has got to be The Matt!

1:48 PM  
Blogger L said...

Rhodent: I do believe you are correct

2:25 PM  
Blogger L said...

Crazy Monkey: I keep trying to get her to start one....

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a couple of genuine aliigator head bookends that I would be happy to loan you until you get this out of your system. REALLY! The only Floridian tackiness allowed in this family is limited to tacky Florida-themed Christmas tree ornaments. Well, I take that back. I guess we could go along with a couple of garden flamingos... but NOT in the front yard! ;o)

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. You are allowed to embrace tasteful Florida decor... I just wanted to clarify that. Florida does have decor that IS tasteful and actually quite beautiful!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always favored the old toilet as a garden centerpiece.

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the yoga positions would be easier if, like the flamingo, your neck and legs were fifteen times longer than they are. However, I think I'd like you better the way you are, even if a bit less flexible. We have ways of limbering you up

10:43 PM  
Blogger L said...

yes, I've decided that practising yoga and being a flamingo are not necessarily my forte

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plastic lawn flamingoes are a must!

To off-set so much Awfully Good Taste, one must occasionally indulge one's most craven whimsies.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I thought those pink flamingoes just grew out of the turf down in Florida! Silly me.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who were these people taking young children to the Holocaust Museum?!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should go for those flamingos because there's too much homogeneity in this world right now, let alone in this country. That'll help to strengthen the regional feel of your 'hood.

10:44 PM  
Blogger L said...

I will definitely go out and buy pink flamingoes now-- but I still have no idea why people drag little children to the Holocaust museum when they're far too young to understand....

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a Holocaust museum in the Detroit area, too. I've never been but I hear that it's riveting. I did get a chance to go to an atomic bomb museum in Hiroshima, though. That I'll never forget.

10:45 PM  
Blogger L said...

wow... the atomic bomb museum must have been something else :o

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home