Monday, March 21, 2005

A Short Trip To The River

Over the weekend my family and I briefly popped on over to my great aunt's farewell dinner at Rainbow River in Dunellon, Florida. A few friendly bottles of wine were drunk, a lovely gravy was concocted, and many delicious buns were nibbled. Willie the Wonder Dog ferociously chased Koko the melodramatically diva-ish Siamese, but otherwise a terribly good time was had by all.

The Rainbow river is quite a lovely place to visit, despite the fact that it just sits there all day doing nothing in particular. My family and I have been going there to canoe, swim, fish, and tube ever since I can remember; occasionally we have also jumped out of trees, screamed hysterically over alligators and baked s'mores over coals.

I think it's actually one of the few beautiful spots left in Florida, which apparently is rather a problem.

The area hasn't been fully developed, so all those natural resources are, of course, going completely to waste. The timber, which could make useful things like pencils and salad bowls, just stands around holding up birds and moss all day. All that water could really be sold for a highly profitable $1.50 per bottle, so it tends to irritate people when it just sloshes around holding fish and things. The various animals constantly laze about napping, playing, and generally refusing to hold down a decent job or pay taxes; it's positively indecent the way they all just scamper around without any pants. Quite bothersome, you know.

But if you don't mind the lazy inefficiency and carelessly wasteful use of land, it's not a bad place to visit.

13 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

LOL. That's an interesting perspective..

10:00 AM  
Blogger L said...

but the only true one :)

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty picture! Is that one you took or is it out of a catalog? (Good choice installing the Haloscan.)

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And they call us an industrialized nation with such a lovely place still sitting there doing absolutely nothing. Humph! I'm thinking it is time to get those fish where the belong, either in the frying pan or an aquarium, cut up the lumber, process the water, and build really gaudy condos on the land.

Actually, I am thrilled such a place exists. In Texas, the spaces are so wide open developers get a little overwhelmed so they head on out to Florida to do their devilish deeds. BTW, the pic is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous picture. Is the water really that blue?

Such a waste. :)

I love waste.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. Such an interesting take on nature.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks very 'caribbean lagoon' for a river. But we can get it even bluer if we drain it, pave it over, build a theme park, and create a new ride named "Splashdown something or other" chock full of tubes of chlorinated water and dinghies. Ticket discounts will be available on the side of Vanilla Coke cans.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid, lazy animals.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how uncivilized.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rainbow river is gorgeous; a friend of mine had a house on the river near the springs but she lost it in the divorce I remember going there when I was little, but it always felt like such a long drive even though it was only a couple hours. Drives anywhere were always forever! I'm glad to know it's still so pretty.

8:54 PM  
Blogger L said...

Frally: It's a picture someone in my family took; I found it after poking around my hard drive. (I doubt it was I who took the pic because I seem to specialize in taking photos of my thumb)

Mark: You're welcome -- and yeah, the developers do tend to run amok in Florida; it's really sad.

Carol: yes, the water REALLY is that blue when the sun is out and you are near a spring (it does look a bit fake, doesn't it?). Other sections of the river look a bit darker due to the river grass. The water is crystal clear, however, so sometimes the water seems much shallower than it actually is.

April: I still go at least several times a year. I'm thinking of going again sometime during the next couple of months for a canoe trip....

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I love Koko!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Willie the Wonderdog! I think I should start a fan-club.

You are right, Dear L, such a shameful misuse of natural resources. That river would make a mighty good storage receptacle for toxic waste.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home