Saturday, March 12, 2005

Cajun Fest

Blogger has been driving me crazy; posting wasn't working (I lost a post); comments weren't working... argh!

***

Yesterday this charming young girl-about-town trotted on over to St. Petersburg to enjoy the Fifth annual Cajun/Zydeco Crawfish Festival with a couple of friends. Various vendors displayed a variety of traditional Cajun cuisine such as crawfish étouffée, fried alligator, seafood gumbo, corn-on-the-cob and beignets, which exist solely to cover everyone's faces with powdered sugar and grease. Other traditional cajun dishes available were deep-fried twinkies, strawberry shortcake, pizza, french fries and lemonade.

As we wandered through hordes of senior citizens, who outnumber us by at least 30 to 1 in St. Petersburg, we perused the items offered by traditional cajun vendors. I admired the $19.99 crushable hats, oohed an ahhed over the traditional cajun wonder flashlights and carefully studied the benefits of a cajun Hawaiian shirt, the traditional cajun suspenders, the cajun key chains and the New Orleans-style flip flops. I feel that I now truly appreciate the benefits of this unique and fascinating culture.

I have to say that the band was full of yummy zydeco goodness, which forced me to shake my booty in an alarming manner all over the place. I danced a little cajun swing with a short bearded gentleman who was quite good and twirled me around until I was dizzy. I also danced a little something-or-other with an elderly gentleman who was not very good at all and squished my adorable toes into less than adorable pulp.

I tried, I really did, to learn actual zydeco dancing (which involves an eight count), but may have destroyed my partner's sanity as well as his knees.

Saw tons of really good dancers flinging and flailing various body parts around, which was great fun. Beads were tossed, decorative umbrellas were swished around, and several couples even did an old-fashioned cakewalk.

This is it for now. I won't post anything longer, just in case Blogger eats it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

Sounds like you are feeling better and are up and running (er dancing) once again. I however am still wallowing in self-pity because I still feel like do-do.

By the way, Matt, aka Inspector GAdget sent me an email in which he praised the interview with you... we did good. ;o)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Frally said...

I have no freakin' idea what cajun food is, I'm very uncultured, but it sounds delicious. Is zydeco that crazy foot-tappin' piano accordion music? If it is, I love me a bit of that action. And, yay, I'm like totally commenting on your blog! Awesome!

3:18 AM  
Blogger L said...

good cajun food is fantastice!

for those who don't know, cajun refers to people in Southern Louisiana who are descended from exiled French colonists; cajuns are a mix of white, black, and native american.

zydeco is Southern Louisiana music that combines French tunes with Caribbean music and blues -- usually with guitars, accordians, washboards, etc. It makes for great dance music.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

After eating a bunch of cajun food who wouldn't want to dance to an accordian and a washboard.
Where can I sign up..

11:54 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Ahh! Gotta git me some of those cajun suspenders. Next year, next year...

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home