Tuesday, March 01, 2005

My Not-So-Divine Comedy

On Monday I became lost in a metaphorical Dark Wood as I attempted to cope with the late car registration/ imaginary accident debacle.

I awoke before dawn to prepare my troubled spirit and was met by the spirit of Virgil my Aunt the Golf Fiend, who was to lead me on my journey towards hot coffee, salvation and an unsuspended driver's license...

8:00 a.m.
We stepped gingerly through infernal puddles and arrived at the first circle of Hell, which is the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, or Limbo. Sitting mournfully in filth encrusted chairs, we heard voices of suffering and despair that made us weep. Hollow-eyed and gaunt, the melancholy figures of our fellow doomed mortals filled the room with anguished laments as they were tormented by wasps, flies and worms.

8:30 a.m.
Charon the ferryman had taken a well-deserved vacation day, so a demonic bureaucrat named Beth helpfully informed me that I would need to pay my old late registration fine for the second time, since the system was incorrectly showing that I hadn't paid it. She could not correct this due to system problems, although I could "return another time to get reimbursed".

9:00 a.m.
Beth disappeared into the bowels of the office, from which we could hear demonic laughter and screams. Sulphuric exhalations wafted through the air.

10:00 a.m.
Beth returned and helpfully informed me that I could not pay the new fine resulting from the old fine, because the ticket was incorrect. She could not correct this due to system problems and told me to keep calling the office for a few days until they told me to return. Maniacal laughter drifted faintly behind her.

10:30 a.m.
Beth disappeared to consult with the head demon. Tortured cries pierced the air as hapless souls were dragged away to an eternity of damnation and torment.

11:00 a.m.
Beth returned and informed me that she could not remove the non-existent accident from my record, so I would need to enter the fourth circle of Hell, or the Department of Motor Vehicles.

11:30 a.m.
We entered the second circle of Hell, or the Traffic Records Office, where the slothful and sullen are left to bewail their Fate, tormented by cold mud and ennui. I sullenly waited to re-register my car, surrounded by the baleful gaze of lesser demons.

1:30 p.m.
After visiting Purgatory (Bank of America) to pull old statements for proof of last year's payment, we took a wrong turn and arrived at the third circle of Hell, or the Florida Highway Patrol office, which exuded poisonous fumes and other gaseous exhalations.

2:00 p.m.
After following the directions from the FHP, we arrived at the fourth, and final, circle of Hell-- The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles, which is designated by the ominous sign: "Abandon hope, ye who enter here." Here the atmosphere was truly chilling, as the howling of delinquent children and other damned souls filled the air. There were those who had been there for years, unkempt with matted hair and beards, fingernails so long they curled under, and wild eyes that darted constantly around the room.

Here were the wrathful, the gluttonous, the lustful, the violent, the fraudulent, the blasphemers, usurers and traitors -- all trapped in the same satanic bureaucracy. Security guards shot with red-hot arrows any who tried to escape the wrath of the DMV.

They informed me that they could not help beyond revoking the suspension on my license, so I will need to go to court to untangle the remainder of the mess.

5:00 p.m.
I arrived home and went to sleep, exhausted by my Sisyphean ordeal.

8 Comments:

Blogger Frally said...

Which circle of hell is the one with all the poo? That's where I am.
In other news, I am currently incapable of typing anything without using the word "poo" at least once.

Great post!

3:45 AM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

I am so sorry to hear that L is in hell. However, it's necessary for you to undergo this test, to strengthen you for the future, such as the eight-year terms in the White House of Jeb, then Jenna Bush, when the Motor Vehicle Department will have become a wing of Homeland Security.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Peter Wall said...

What the L?!

1:48 PM  
Blogger LK said...

Fantastic story! - well reading it at least. It must have been sheer hell to experience it.

7:53 PM  
Blogger blogroller said...

ahhh even reading posts from florida makes me feel warmer as i look out at another 10" snowfall in vermont...

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a note to all readers... it appears that our dear L has fallen ill with a nasty case of DMVitis. she had to leave work early and she sounds miserable. almost as miserable as she probably was on Monday. please pray for her.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

I always wondered what Hell was like. My mistake. I thought it was the Post Office. Although that may be the 5th circle.

As funny as your post was...I sure hope it gets straight for you! What a *&^% mess!

10:45 PM  
Blogger L said...

argh. very funny tickgirl :p
my mother is probably already praying over my black soul every night since I am agnostic ;)

I probably caught it from one of those horrid children that were howling and running around the DMV

frally: I think the fifth circle is the one with all the poo.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home