Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Procrastinating....

While my old apartment is nearly clean, my new house to-do list has grown tremendously during the past week and contains everything from getting insulation and a jacuzzi to caulking, painting, nailing, and installing secret bookcase passageways.

Therefore, I have decided to procrastinate. Not only have I watched The Last Man On Earth, Night Of The Living Dead and The House By The Cemetery (all part of a housewarming gift -- yay!), but I have also gone antique shopping, explored a previously unknown *oriental supermarket and reread several stories by Luis Borges. Additionally, I may decide to learn Chinese.

While thrifting/antique shopping, I picked up a few hilarious old pinup and "true story" magazines from the thirties and forties. This one is from December 1935


Of course, it is full of thrilling and true-life stories of love at first sight, people lost at sea, crippled infants, adultery, men falling in love with their sisters, delirium, plastic surgery and young ladies dying after tragic falls from ponies (illustrated at left)











Among other things, it provides cautionary tales that warn severely against wives trying to state opinions or work outside the house. Everyone knows that stating opinions and working outside the house will make you have ugly children.











And we can't forget the stories that caution you against being a shallow gold-digging homewrecker. These stories always seem to contain a man named "Gil" or "Sexton", and the homewrecker always ends up working as a cheap waitress fending off drunken brutes while her lover commits suicide.




























* my favorite oriental market purchases so far
1. a bag of "apple gummy", which states "Every drop of fresh apple juice carefully pressed from the reddest apples, shining in colors of the cheeks of a snow-country child, is yours to enjoy"
2. a bag of "muscat gummy", which states "Its translucent color so alluring and taste and aroma so gentle and mellow offer admiring feelings of a graceful lady."
3. bright red chopsticks

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger William Smith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love that cover. I kind of want to do my hair like that.

8:10 AM  
Blogger L said...

Rachel: I love it too -- posting another one shortly!

11:04 PM  
Blogger kristin said...

Oh wow--wish I'd come upon some juicy bits like that on my jaunts. I did find this totally incredible 1955 Betty Crocker cookbook at the huge place on Central recently--I thought it would be jokey, but it is amazingly helpful and informative.

See ya at 7!

4:30 PM  
Blogger L said...

irene: you are so lucky! I was looking for old cookbooks just the other day!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home