Sunday, April 15, 2007

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!

I just toddled back home after seeing a lovely and heartwarming film filled with spellbinding action sequences and feel-good performances. And, I hate to admit it but, I do (sniff) love a happy (sniff) ending.

Yes, Grindhouse was all that and more!

***** SPOILER ALERT *****

Not only did it have hordes of the undead, Rose McGowan and a machine gun/prosthetic leg, but it also had Kurt Russell as a psychopathic stuntman with a big scar (yeah!), kick-ass muscle cars, gory violence, "crazy babysitter twins" and vengeance with fists!

I loved the faux trailers sandwiched between the double features, and if anyone ever actually films a movie to go with my favorite one (Machete: They F**ked With The Wrong Mexican!), I will instantly run out to see it. My second favorite trailer (Don't!) cracked me up completely, because it sounded like such a throwback to low budget trash classics like Don't Go in the Basement and Don't Go in the House. And my third favorite (Thanksgiving) was a very believable parody of old nasties like Silent Night Deadly Night. Another noteworthy effort was Werewolf Women of the SS from Rob Zombie...

The first feature, the hilarious Planet Terror from Robert Rodriguez, is full of cheese, gore, testicles and fairly fast action once the zombies start pustulating madly and attacking everyone in sight. But my favorite part had to be the sex scene (complete with a wooden leg) where the film was made to seem completely worn out from continuous play... until the "reel" goes missing. heh heh. The second feature, Death Proof from Quentin Tarantino, was a radical change in energy level (me: "I don't know if I can take all this dialogue shit..."), but it picked up rapidly once Kurt Russell revealed the chilling sadist beneath the affable "Stuntman Mike". This had a great extended car chase as well as a very suspenseful scene where one woman is stuck on the hood of a speeding car.

It's always so funny to watch each Tarantino flick and pick out all the old movies he borrows from (Lady Snowblood! Django! Master of the Flying Guillotine! ha ha ha!) . But this double feature is obviously the result of a torrid love affair with many, many B movie exploitation flicks.


Favorite quotes:
"I'm Cherry."
"You sure are."

"I will eat your brains and gain your knowledge."

"If anyone comes to the door, I want you to shoot them"
"What if it's Dad?"
"Especially if it's your dad"

"White meat. Dark meat. They all get carved."



Can you find where *this image shows up in Death Proof?

I can!




* from Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Rich said...

l, l, l, l....

You're getting sicker. Seek help.

:), :), :), :).

4:18 AM  
Blogger JOEY said...

Andrew sent me your blog and the first thing I see is your write-up on Grindhouse! Very exciting. That movie was amazing. Did you notice the tank top on the wall of the bar in Death Proof? The one Kurt Russell wore for his stellar role as Jack Burton in Big trouble in Little China? It made me smile almost as much as when he was asked if he was a Cowboy. "I'm not a cowboy Pam, I'm a stuntman."

9:58 AM  
Blogger kristin said...

Well, we saw DISTURBIA!!!!! For a kids thriller, it was pretty thrilling. Good acting (though I wish there were more creepy David Morse scenes) and a hilarious over-the-top reliance on techno-gadgetry by the teens. B+.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We're hoping to see it this weekend. I heard one of the mid-movie trailers was made by Edgar Write of "Shaun of the Dead" and now "Hot Fuzz" fame. No matter what, cheese or guts, it'll be fun.

12:12 PM  
Blogger L said...

cap'n rich: what??? I feel perfectly fine! not ill at all :)

joey: I totally loved that movie and must buy it. I noticed the tank top too, but got more of kick out of the girl's Russ Meyer t shirt

irene: oooh! still haven't seen Disturbia, but I want too

ordinarygirl: ha ha! I loved Shaun of the Dead and am dying to see Hot Fuzz

12:11 AM  
Blogger kristin said...

Disturbia is no Shawn of the Dead, but (as stated) very smart teens thriller. You know, the heroes are all nerds (kinda hot nerds, but this IS the movies) that can take apart and rebuild digital cameras to custome specifications and read what look to be Penguin Classics on their roof in a bikini.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

I heard Rodriguez say in an interview that he plans on doing a "Machete" movie for real. Well, I hope so, but I'm still waiting for that spin-off of "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" featuring Agent Sands. I guess that depends a teensy bit on Depp's schedule too. I did a Grindhouse post too.

2:33 PM  
Blogger L said...

Irene: well, I will definitely check it out

blueberry: heh heh heh -- it really was a good movie :)

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home