Sunday, April 08, 2007

Drunks and Quiches

This year's Easter party seemed to be a success. Everyone enjoyed a toasty bonfire, beer, sausages, ritual sacrifices of stuffed animals, a drunken attempt at summoning Satan and an official countdown to the Resurrection.

The morning brunch was also quite successful, as we enjoyed drinking mimosas and making faces at babies-- including Sandra and Rene's newborn, Brooks, who was dressed rather stylishly as a burrito.

To celebrate, I helped make four delicious varieties of quiche... I am posting my favorite as people always seem to be emailing me asking for recipes.

Easter Hangover Quiche


Ingredients
1. two cups of grated cheese (we used swiss, but cheddar might be better)
2. four eggs
3. one and 1/3 cup milk
4. one deep dish pie crust
5. a large handful or two of thinly sliced zucchini sauteed with garlic and olive oil, enough to create a thick layer in the pie (although spinach might be yummier)
6. some mushrooms sauteed with garlic and olive oil
7. four slices of chopped, cooked bacon (or more if desired)
8. a bunch of chopped scallions
9. a bunch of fresh dill
10. some fresh cilantro or fresh basil
11. a few pinches of paprika
12. salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Steps
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. pile the grated cheese in an even layer in the bottom of the pie crust
3. layer the zucchini evenly next
4. layer the mushrooms
5. layer the bacon and scallions
6. layer all the fresh herbs on top of that (make sure to use a LOT of dill)
7. throw the eggs and milk into a bowl and really beat the hell out of the mixture, making sure to add some salt and pepper in the process
8. pour the egg/milk mixture into the pie crust on top of the other ingredients
9. sprinkle some paprika on top
10. bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes then let cool for a few minutes.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Krishen said...

Oh my goodness that quiche was good! I was wondering who made it; now I know AND have the recipe. Yay :)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes the party was absolutely smashing. That recipe sounds damn good. Now i am doubly sorry i missed the brunch!

I attribute my failure at summoning my dark lord due to having slurred the incantations as a result of consuming one too many crack babies. Perhaps next year...

11:14 PM  
Blogger L said...

krishen: Ivee actually directed me on the quiche since I'd never made it before :)

craig: yes -- you missed a very good brunch!

11:45 PM  
Blogger L said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:45 PM  
Blogger King Pao Fu said...

Tell Craig and his minions of dark that Dog-Bunny lives. His power has only intensified after being sacrificed to the flames. Uh, did we accidentally start a new religion? On Easter Eve? This might be a problem.:)

12:29 AM  
Blogger kate said...

That sounds yummy. Without the bacon, I mean.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds terrific (without the mushrooms). I love zucchini in quiche.

9:59 AM  
Blogger kristin said...

I was just going to say that I love the idea of mushrooms but not the zucchini so much in a quiche. Perhaps you could prove my palate wrong. I mean, two kinds of cheese usually negates one weird ingredient.
Oh yeah, copping out on dinner. Call me this week though or I'll do the same.

2:07 PM  
Blogger L said...

king pao fu: and I thought you were a nice Christian boy too

Kate: it was very yummy! especially considering the fact that it was my first time making quiche :)

ordinary girl: ah, but the mushrooms were good

irene: well, you can substitute pretty much any good vegetable I would think... and you missed a yummy dinner (chicken cooked in cider/white wine with fresh tarragon and garlic, a side of rosemary/lemon asparagus, a yummy salad and an orange bundt cake with candied oranges).You will have to let me know when you and your husband are free for dinner!

12:09 AM  
Blogger kristin said...

Usually Tuesdays or Thursdays, but I'll keep you posted. I am dripping drool on the desk at the menu!!!! Damn! I hate cup o' noodles and green peas with butter!

10:40 AM  
Blogger L said...

irene: sorry about the drool :) hmm... maybe an upcoming Thursday would be good then

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home