Monday, January 22, 2007

Recent Activities...

I'm afraid that it's now officially official: I am house-hunting in a terribly earnest and somewhat matronly manner. Of course, house-hunting is a bit easier than it sounds, as it doesn't require a special license or gun-- and houses just sit around doing nothing in particular rather than fleeing in an alarming manner. Although the search is exhausting, it hasn't been too horribly dangerous, with the exception of a particularly vicious assault from feral laminate flooring.

There are so many charmingly overpriced fixer-uppers that it's quite difficult to choose just where I should finally settle down with my very own weed-infested lawn and feuding neighbors. But it's all so wonderfully exciting, what with all the paperwork, the documentation, additional paperwork, paper documents, documentary paperwork, extra documentation, and various papery things.

This might sound somewhat stressful, but I take solace in the fact that having my very own house means I can also quite easily have my very own pets... Like termites! Or roaches!

Anyway, it's quite a wonderful process that everyone should experience.

Other recent randomness:
1. This weekend I participated in another Ultimate Frisbee tournament, in which my team came in next to last. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I accidentally named our team "Frederick". Others had suggested "The Pukes" or "Baby Poo", but "Frederick" was deemed to be much more dignified. Teams we played against included the "Tighty Whities" and "The Macaroons", among others.

2. I attended a lovely baby shower, for which I made an ungodly amount of whipped cream.... said whipped cream stared at me reproachfully all afternoon after not being eaten.

3. Various new art pieces somehow managed to find their way to my apartment; I'm not quite sure how this sort of thing happens, as it's quite irresponsible as well as mysterious.

4. Carrie Mackin, Kym O'Donnell and Joe Griffith won art picks for Creative Loafing's Best of the Bay.

5. Quite sadly, there was also an award for the "Saddest Arts Trend: Tampa Bay's Cultural Brain Drain", which is not surprising...



To-day I'm listening to this and to this because they make me giggle.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Cyrus said...

As the purpose of my time on this planet is apparently to slowly but steadily move real estate papery things from one side of my double wide desk to the other, if you have any questions or concerns during this harrowing house-hunting time, please feel free to ask. I would love the opportunity to play the role of expert for once in my humble life.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From second place a couple of months ago to second to last?! What a meteoric descent!

Well, i'm impressed. You're already taking steps toward one of your New Year's resolutions. Its a bit early, though. I would have expected you to procrastinate more! ;)

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the house-hunting! Are you trying to stay in St. Pete? Some friends just bought a house near Crecent Park, and it's cute although very oddly shaped. Can't wait for your housewarming! Oh! And can I get your recipe for lamb again? :)

10:25 AM  
Blogger Professor Pyramid said...

Don't do it! Resist peer pressure!

If someone offers to sell you a house, JUST SAY NO!

12:53 PM  
Blogger KO said...

I know of a beautiful little Victorian you might be interested in...

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as a really random note, I love the breakfast nook table and benches in the image. They appear to be made of plywood which was very much in vogue during the 1950's.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Looking again, I think that woman may be in 1940's garb. Well, I'll surf on and stop leaving weird comments on your blog now.

3:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

Cyrus: thank you for the offer! I have a second "First Time Home Buyers" seminar to attend, and then I just might send you a question or two :)

Craig: well, let's just see how it pans out, shall we? it's a bit nerve-wracking...

Frog Princess: yes, I plan to stay in St. Pete. And yes, you can definitely have my recipe for lamb (it's in an old post located in my November 2005 archives)... Maybe I should create a drop down box for my favorite recipes...

Professor: so it's preferable to throw all my money away on rent going to someone else? I think not! Besides, I need a place to store a kayak, among other things...

Kathie: hee hee! I do want to stay in St. Pete though ... have you seen Pan's Labyrinth yet? it was great!

Genevieve: I just love that photo period (someone emailed it to me recently). And, we thrive on weird and/or random comments here :)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Professor Pyramid said...

Fool!

You would have to live to be 120 just to break even! Keep your kayak in storage if you must. Heck, I have room for it at my place, and I'll charge less than U-Haul!

I live near the beach, too. And my student loans finally came in, so I now have a sheet on my bed. Woo-hoo! Now, I only need one thing for my place to be hospitable for Key-West-prone house guests: electricity!

4:29 PM  
Blogger L said...

professor: I know plenty of people who paid off their houses and either sold them for a profit or are currently living rent-free... you STILL don't have electricity? Dude, you are the most homeless non-homeless person I know! I certainly hope you managing to eat something other than ramen noodles -- or you could develop scurvy!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home