Saturday, January 06, 2007

Some Funny Old Postcards I Found...

I found these while puttering around in an antique mall a couple of weeks ago.... click to enlarge


The date on them appears to be 1907, and one of them has a charming (sinister?) little note:
"Dearest Cousin,
I received your welcome letter. Will be delighted to come after you and Mabel if the weather is favorable. It will be some time on Saturday I think.
Good bye.
Lella"

I certainly hope that "come after you" doesn't mean what it means today.

Old letters and postcards are so funny -- So far my favorite one was written by a soldier during World War I. In it he assures his sweetheart that she needn't worry about him "falling in love with a beautiful nurse" as he remains "disgustingly healthy".

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said...

I love antiques

2:27 PM  
Blogger L said...

brenda: me too -- I always see the most interesting things in antique malls... and every once in a while I see something that really moves me-- letters especially

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't think i've ever thought about reading what's on the back of postcards when browsing in antique stores. now, for sure, i will always see old postcards in a new way...perhaps even have to acquire them if they have writing on them. maybe i should also be checking the backs of old photos for dates and such. whole new world!

9:22 AM  
Blogger L said...

Tammy: it's one of my favorite things to do when antiquing. I especially love letters and postcards from 1900 - 1950

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well for Lella's sake I hope her cousin and Mabel finally came..
I somehow picture her still sitting in a house somewhere waiting, ha,ha..

10:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

yeah, that would suck if they never got the card...

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home