Thursday, January 04, 2007

Due to circumstances beyond my control, this is an actual blog post tonight

I hope everyone remembered to celebrate National Trivia Day today!

I briefly considered throwing a highly improper costume bash to celebrate, but then realized that I'd mislaid my sassy gold lamé Martian princess outfit. Again! And if I can't afford my very own petting zoo, then how can I ever afford enough champagne to fill a swimming pool? I feel quite peeved, to be perfectly honest. However, I cannot let the day pass without including only the very best in educational trivia...

to wit, "Valuable Facts For the Discerning Individual"


1.
The longest recorded flight by a chicken is thirteen seconds.

2. For the amusement of Louis XI, the Abbot of Baigne constructed an unusual musical instrument consisting of a small herd of pigs that squealed in different ranges when pricked by spikes attached to a keyboard.

3. Seabee Leon Louie was the first person to ever be court-martialed for throwing a pie.

4. The Ophites were an early Christian sect who required that the communion be licked by snakes before being given to worshippers.

5. Shitala is the Indian goddess of smallpox.

6. The War of Jenkin's Ear (between Spain and Great Britain), which lasted almost ten years, was declared after a British sea captain claimed that the Spanish coast guard severed his ear (later pickled).

7. Levophobia is the fear of objects to the left side of the body

8. The French poet Edouard Corbiere spent a large amount of time constructing scale models of ships then destroying them.

9. In 1877 a Belgian society was formed to promote the use of cats to deliver mail.

10.
A whale's penis is called a dork

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

suddenly I feel smarter... in sort of a totally intellectually violated way...

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do question the recorded flight of a chicken being 13 seconds as they seem to fly much longer when dropped from extremely high buildings.

2:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

Yes, I think most people would feel intellectually violated after reading my blog :) I thought that was an odd "fact" myself. I dug it out of one of my odd fact books, but it is slightly old. Perhaps a chicken has flown further by now

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. OK, why did I read it as the "longest recorded fart?" Must have been something an old music teacher said.

2. A porkophone?

3. Now who was first court-martialed for throwing pi (and to how many digits)?

4. It's a miracle that we're not all Buddhists.

5. Actually, due to intense lobbying from Bangalore, she is now the goddess of IT bugs.

6. Was it the ear or the captain that was later pickled?

7. Bushophobia is a fear of the right.

8. It was a tribute to his great, great, great, great, great... grandpere, Sisyphus.

9. It failed when the cats decided to unionize.

10. Whew. I thought that you were going to say that anyone with a penis is a dork.

11:54 PM  
Blogger L said...

comfort addict: actually, I think the "longest recorded fart" is not all that far-fetched for something on my blog! on # 6, it was the ear... and on number 10? only SOME people with penises are dorks :) LOL on your answers, by the way

11:10 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I'd better stop using the word "dork" in front of my kids.

Geez!

Does the chicken flight record include Northwest Airlines 757s? I SWEAR I sat in front of a guy with one in a hidden cage the last time I came back from Seattle.

8:42 PM  
Blogger L said...

Carmi: hee hee! It's amazing what people will bring on planes :)

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when a woman calls a man a dork it's really a compliment..

And here's a bit of trivia for you:
Jaomila Rincondic once swallowed 37 whole eggs and then the next day she regretted it which resulted in the popular saying "Don't eat so many eggs. You'll regret it the next day!!"

11:03 PM  
Blogger L said...

happy and blue: you're right -- I guess it MUST be a compliment...

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home