Sunday, July 24, 2005

Relaxing...

It was a bit of a busy weekend, so I'm taking a bit of a breather.

Friday
Trickled on over to the Emerald in St. Petersburg for their "Walterpalooza", a retirement tribute to their best-known bartender (Walt's been slinging drinks since 1970). It was really quite cheerful, despite the uncheerful band names on the roster: Can't Do It, Car Bomb Driver, Crippled Masters, The Hero Dies, No Loves, Unrequited Loves, etc. (I've considered requesting a soundtrack for my life).

My favorites were Randy Wilcox and the Moonsnakes, as well as the Redliners (who have a very yummy lead singer I must say).

Saturday
Oozed my way into the Vitale gallery for the Hot and Bothered show, which was a fitting name due to the fire-breathing and lack of air conditioning. However, they always pull in a very interesting crowd. The art isn't too bad either.

Sunday
Ate more than humanly possible on a brunch cruise around Tampa Bay. Admired the scenery as the captain charmingly pointed out the phosphate plant, the giant mounds of mysterious industrial byproducts, the grain storage facility and the fabulously huge houses teetering on tiny plots of waterfront property.

Later behaved quite irresponsibly with Debbie and Bill, who forced me to eat yummy lamb bits and then drink at the very cool Independent bar in downtown St. Petersburg. Had a lovely Belgian beer called Delerium Tremens, which is casked in wormwood. I waited anxiously, but suffered no hallucinations and neglected to cut off my ear. Despite that, they invited me to hang some art on the wall, so I shall have to go and Get Busy.

Another post later.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up at that image of the captain pointing out the industrial stuff! I take it that DT didn't give you the DT.

11:48 AM  
Blogger L said...

no, didn't get the DTs :) it was rather tasty though

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a varied weekend you had! You covered the spectrum from industrial waste to artistic fire-breathing...wow. I couldn't begin to compete!

11:48 AM  
Blogger L said...

I really don't know how I manage it

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Crippled Masters'?! That's a GREAT kung fu movie!! You are a kung fu aficionado, no? That is a film you must see.

11:49 AM  
Blogger L said...

sounds like I need to see it -- is it as good as Riki-Oh or Master of the Flying Guillotine?

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must confess I have not gotten around to seeing Riki-Oh yet, but I would put it on par with Master of the Flying Guillotine. The stars of the film are real cripples!

11:49 AM  
Blogger L said...

OH MY GAWD!!! I must see it immediately! thanks for the recommendation :)

and be sure to send any more like that my way, please.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home