Monday, April 23, 2007

Vibrators, Prosthetic Eyes and Other Curious Medical Devices

Can I just say that I absolutely love this website? Now I want to spend all my time collecting obscure and *frighteningly curious medical antiques!
Favorites include:
The Propriety of a Physical Exam (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!)
Quack Medicine! ("light therapy", "preventing onanism", "eye massagers", etc.)
Off the Market Today (actual snake oil, heroin tablets, etc.)

From the section relating to Vibration Therapy:
(just look at those happy faces!)




















And, of course, one cannot have an antique medical device website without including completely freaky prosthetic eyeballs (!)


















And 17th century orthapedic surgery!


















* Some sections (amputation, urology) might not be suitable for those who are terribly, terribly squeamish

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger King Pao Fu said...

Why does the freaky eyeball look so familiar?:) Could it be that North Viet Kong's OTHER glass eye?

12:38 AM  
Blogger L said...

King Pao Fu: heh heh.... eeew!

12:51 AM  
Blogger saraeanderson said...

What's scary - search "vibrator" on Ebay, and you'll find bunches of vintage ones. It's cool and all, but I just don't think I dig the sisterhood enough to get off on the same unit of technology that a sufragette was humping on.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, pictures 39 and 45 are almost hot.

Almost.

Gross.

8:35 AM  
Blogger fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Women have never been as prudish as they've pretended to be.

10:10 AM  
Blogger kristin said...

mushy, we're just so much better at being subtle when we talk about the naughties than most men!

8:48 PM  
Blogger L said...

king pao fu: hope you're feeling better, by the way! call me if you need anything! I have to skip frisbee this week as I'm terribly terribly injured

sara e anderson: hello :) I dig your blog, by the way. I should check out ebay to see those -- very interesting. It's funny to think that people collect that stuff.

rachel: how are you feeling? better I hope!

mushy: um, I don't pretend :)

irene: hee hee! That is correct!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Those are some interesting pictures...I can't imagine them actually doing the arm twisting procedure. That'd be traumatic. :)

6:36 PM  
Blogger L said...

Tim: that whole site is FULL of interesting images! and yes, I can't imagine "surgery" back then either :o

8:06 PM  
Blogger L said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:06 PM  
Blogger L said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:07 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

well well, it appears vibrator technology has made a gigantic leap forward in our modern times.

5:05 PM  
Blogger L said...

glomgold: well, I should hope so. They were totally focusing on the WRONG area before!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home