Thursday, January 26, 2006

Another Post on Very Odd Art: It's Overdue

I returned from a date with a nice young man (who resembles a bouncer, but is, in reality, a writer and anarchist who enjoys opera) when I realized that Odd Art posts had been sadly lacking.

So, I pullled some "home decor" items from a terribly kitschy catalog that my good friend Carlos, the Puerto Rican With a Twist, had given me this week.


This riveting example of home decor combines the best of both worlds: classic painting and modern sculpture! Amaze your friends and family! Marvel at the life-like expression rendered in 100% designer plastic with antiqued finish! Ooh and Aah over the mysterious smile of the Mona Lisa as well as the completely outrageous price tag! No one will ever question your taste again!


This absolutely incredible example of wall decor will absolutely astound you with the fact that it is, indeed, a foot and half tall! Not only that, but it is also rendered in exquisite, 100% designer resin that had been numbered (in a limited edition quantity) and signed by someone you've never heard of! This is an absolute-not-to-be-missed-collector's item! Get yours now! While they last!


All the most Fashionable persons will tell you: what every home needs is a 1/4 life-sized model of a knight in designer resin. And, of course, no designer-resin knight is complete without a very large light bulb to combine the very best of classic Medieval art and contemporary lighting techniques. It's breathtaking.


*******

I'm sorry that this post is so incredibly lame, but I just returned from a 6-course gourmet dinner/wine tasting & I'm ever so slightly tipsy after disussing "coming out" cards, vineyards, obnoxious Long Islanders, welding, roast beef, odd hair, and Fantasy Fest.

I promise to do better to-morrow.

15 Comments:

Blogger unreuly said...

sounds like an awesome date!!!
and i so totally want one of those mona lisa things!!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The art and the blog are lovely.
I suggest that you save some money and invest in some Action Figures which can be posed in Fabulous Positions:
http://www.accoutrements.com/actionfigures/index.html
Jesus and Mozart are particularly Stunning.

8:54 PM  
Blogger L said...

Atractiva: he was very nice, but I didn't feel any chemistry. However, in some cases, that doesn't show up until the second date.

My Dear Professor: heh heh... Hey! Will you be making it out to any arty events soon? There might be more interesting things coming up...

9:25 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

All that's missing from that Mona Lisa is removeable eyeholes for a mysterious stranger to peer out of and follow your movements across the room before disappearing again.

8:04 PM  
Blogger L said...

glomgold: I'm not sure why they didn't think of that...

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not lame at all. All hail, The Very Odd Art! I could find a place for the Mona Lisa thingy

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to be on the same mailing list as Carlos. I'm good on the medieval lighting, but the Mona Lisa is a real must-have...

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd definitely go with the knight that does double duty as a lamp. Art should always be useful, don't you agree? A Mona Lisa that's also an air freshener, a Venus de Milo that's a coat hanger...

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - great odd art. But what's with the obnoxious Longuylanders?

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L, :) nut. When are you tipsy and when are you not? It's hard to tell.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Mona Lisa reminds me of a Catholic girl I knew in High School whose parents had a plastic relief image of the Pope in their living room. Very odd, but a good conversation piece.

I wonder where you find a plastic relief image of the Pope. Maybe the Vatican?

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I receive that catalog. I know I see that knight at least once every two months.

So, did you have a good weekend?

9:26 PM  
Blogger L said...

Chickie: me too! I'd give it as a Christmas gift

CaptStl: yes, Carlos is on a wonderful mailing list... I don't know how he got there though

Mariana: agreed! good art should be multi-faceted

moos: I don't know :0

Rich: I'm actually rarely tipsy, but, I am told, always slightly eccentric. I don't see that myself, but that's what my friends all tell me...

Lisa: I'm sure the Vatican has a wonderful gift shop -- and thank you!

Kosh: Yes I did, although not as good as I was hoping, based on our Friday outing...

9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had acquired the lovers embrace from apparently this same catalog in summer 2006 but it got lost in my cross country move from west cast to east in 2008.

Does anyone have a current source of the 2006 catalog and/ or specifically lovers embrace sculpture from anywhere so. I could aquire the lost piece again. Thanks. I got it as a gift for my wife.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home