Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tu Tu

It's been quite the busy week-- between hanging out with my friend Bill at the Independant and attending speeches given by people with funny names I've barely had time to post!

As I no longer retain any hard feelings over Archbishop Tu Tu being chosen instead of me for the Nobel Peace Prize, I toddled on over to the University of South Florida to see what he might have to say. Of course, he gave no indication of recognizing me whatsoever, but you know how these celebrities are. Even Joaquin Phoenix doesn't remember to return my phone calls these days.

Anyway, Desmond Tu Tu was quite Charming and very, very short. He is also (apparently) quite amusing, as many in the front rows chuckled quite a bit. However, the acoustics were so awful, that the rest of us could only catch phrases here and there: "Forgiveness... peen mo shall er wah so.... Nelson Mandela.... for 37 years....far so many deen wah to.... WHITE!....jit go fun meet....BLACK!.....run wim too bah... gives the other the opportunity of a new beginnning.... yor foo bo see.... legacy of slavery.... Native Americans... min how far she wan to.... it's important for enemies to become friends... hee hee hee...."

At one point he seemed to be discussing obscure medical fetishes: "... enemas.... consider the enemas", when we finally realized he was saying: "animals... consider the animals...", among many other philisophical things.

Of course, he also may have been cursing fluently over the absolutely horrible parking situation at the University, but we'll never know.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! Reminds me of that Monty Python where they are listening to Jesus but can't hear anything he's saying. So much for progress and fancy sound systems.

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Ahhhh. What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Blessed are the Greek.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Saturday Night Live, or the old National Lampoon (?are you old enough to remember that), you are not afraid to belittle the highest and the mightiest. I love it! Can't wait to see the Mother Teresa blog.

9:45 PM  
Blogger L said...

Lisa: it was JUST like that!

My Dear Professor: I do believe that I owe you an email :) And I have always loved SNL and National Lampoon (although I am but a wee youngster)

11:35 PM  
Blogger L said...

cap'n: heh heh heh

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I missed Tu Tu when he came to town once (in an acoustically better environment than the one you describe). It's one of those "if I could go back in time and fix something" moments (along with an awful lot of dates, high school and pouting after our band played in Montreux and missing Marvin Gaye).

I hope that you enjoyed what you understood and filled the gaps in a way that pleased you.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it terrible of me that when I think of South Africa now, all I can think of is their lovely Pinotage. Mmm.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember an old song that went something like "Don't mess with my toot toot/don't mess with my toot toot/I know you have another woman/so don't mess with my toot toot". I always thought of Bishop Tu Tu when I heard it.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! Perhaps he was speaking pig latin, and what he was saying was funny not ONLY because he was speaking pig latin but he could have been discussing the finer points of underwater basketweaving.

Hmm.

I am glad you had a good time, however hard it was to understand your guest speaker :)

9:31 PM  
Blogger L said...

Comfort Addict: I did

Kosh: I'm sorry to hear that, m'dear

Mariana: now I'm always going to think of that song when someone says "Desmond Tu Tu"

NPR Junkie: yes, well.... we had yummy food afterwards

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody or something deleted my comment!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the problem of the enemas in South Africa has been overlooked way too long and I'm glad Mr. TuTu is expunging this issue through the injection of verbal matter. Just writing that makes me feel so cleansed.

9:31 PM  
Blogger L said...

rich: dammit! I missed it!

mark: me too :)

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home