Sunday, March 25, 2007

I was TRYING to behave, but.....

.... I accidentally bought a charming used book yesterday while attending Dali Fest with my lovely and earnest friend Brian. It's titled Dali by Dali, and it is an odd little first edition of random full color reproductions interspersed with Salvador Dali's various musings, mostly on himself.

Chapters include such gems as: "The Molecular Dali" and "The Hallucinogenic Dali", among others.

Favorite quotes:
"If someone, even a handsome person, talks to me about horoscopes or asks me under what sign of the zodiac I was born, I never telephone him again. You see how miserly I am and how exceptional my intelligence must be."

"I began a happening in New York by announcing in front of three thousand spectators that Cézanne was a catastrophe of congenital awkwardness -- a painter of decrepit structures of the past. I was applauded, principally because nobody knew who Cézanne was."

"Salvador Dali, monarchist and anarchist, and consequently opposed to a consumer society, is naturally against automobiles, to which he prefers a triumphal chariot..."


He sounds as if he must have been a thoroughly sensible person, as I also prefer a triumphal chariot over an automobile. His moustache was also quite alarmingly charming.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home