Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lazing about ....

Took the day off.... bwah ha ha ha ha ha!! I hope everyone had fun at work without me today!

Went shopping for books and picked up a very cool hardbound facsimile of the Visconti Hours, a book of hours commissioned in the early 1400s by Giangaleazzo Visconti, the ruler of Milan.


I scanned a few of my favorites out of about 166 high quality plates (unfortunately my scanner needs to be replaced -- the scan quality isn't very high, and the metallic gold doesn't show).

1. The Creation of Birds
2. Sacrifice of Cain and Abel
3. Spies Before Jericho
4. The Nativity

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Panthergirl said...

Those are amazing. I have always wanted to learn to do illumination. I love detail like that and think I'd be good at it.

12:24 PM  
Blogger -c said...

Man, those are beautiful! Cheers to a sick day well-spent!

2:27 PM  
Blogger L said...

panthergirl: yes, I've always loved illuminations also -- my favorite is the Lindisfarne gospels, but I also loved seeing the Book of Kells in Ireland :)

-c: yes, I love wasting time on a day off!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home