Monday, September 18, 2006

Glamorous Girl-About-Town Reporting...

The weekend was especially charming, considering that the team won second place at the ultimate Florida sectionals tournament.

It was terribly fabulous.

It was also quite mystifying, as we'd really just meant to fart around and drink beer while finishing dead last before going to the beach and drinking even more beer. I think we can safely say that my top-secret plan of playing in a horribly inept manner to distract the opposition worked admirably; my inability to catch or throw in any sort of meaningful way absolutely stupified the other teams' star players! Yay!

Overall, it was a successful tournament, as they only had to call the paramedics once, and no one broke anything, and my scabby legs are almost healed.

***************************
However, this past week was not all wine and roses. Acquaintances have regretfully informed me that I apparently missed seeing:
1. a rather exciting fistfight
2. a small car flying through the air and landing in the middle of a fountain near work
3. a freckly streaker

***************************

On the other hand, I did get to see The Protector (Tom Yum Goong), which is an amazingly beautiful movie starring Tony Jaa (star of Ong-Bak). I highly recommend it, both for its hilarious cheese factor and the kick-ass fight scenes. High points:
1. Tony Jaa in an extreme boat chase scene
2. Tony Jaa making tons of bone-crunching sound effects
3. a warehouse fight between Tony Jaa and a large number of gangsters on rollerblades, BMX bikes and tricked-out four wheelers
4. Tony Jaa fighting in the middle of a burning building
5. a whip-wielding dominatrix gangster leaping on a helicopter to escape Tony Jaa
6. a man eating a live scorpion
7. Tony Jaa fighting enormous henchmen
8. a cute baby elephant
9. explosions
10. Tony Jaa making even more bone-crunching sound effects

Low point:
1. no ninja scenes

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger unreuly said...

it is hard not to lament the missing of a quality fist fight...
and compound that with NO ninja scenes and i'd be tempted to find the nearest corner and cry...
thank heaven for beer!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the fine performance at the Ultimate Florida sectionals tournament. All the frizbee tossing and catching you did must have helped. Although I don't really see the connection between frizbee tossing and furniture tossing. And catching a couch section. Couches must be a lot lighter in Florida.

Thanks for the link to the movie. I watched the preview. It looks good.
Using an elephant as a piece of exercise equipment was cool. I am going to search for that in the next gym I join. Who would have thought of doing exercises on an elephants tusks. Well, not me for one. I thought playing basketball with a porcupine was fun until I saw how great the elephant tusk thing looked..

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most excellent work as the decoy in your frisbee game. Congratulations on a fine performance.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

You had me until you said there were no ninja scenes. Never mind.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being 1st place losers! ;) Just kidding! Second place is quite an accomplishment. I think your unorthodox method of playing is already known as 'drunken master' style.

You speak of no ninjas in this Tony Jaa movie, but think how much better it would have been if there were some pirates!

10:14 PM  
Blogger L said...

Roselle: yes, thank heaven for beer -- but today we are calling it "grog"

happy and blue: thank you! yes, tossing furniture around can be quite difficult, I must say. You should totally go see the movie. It was awesome

Wendy: thank you! I still can't believe I didn't break my face

rainypete: I know! I cannot believe they had all that other great stuff, and they forgot the ninjas

Craig: yes, you probably could call my style of playing "Drunken Master Frisbee". Oh yeah -- pirates AND ninjas! then it would have been the perfect movie! Beer Thursday?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Professor Pyramid said...

Oh, the fistfight wasn't me. I don't even live in that county anymore. I have an alibi!

5:12 PM  
Blogger L said...

Professor: harrrr!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home