From Repent America:
"We must help and pray for those ravaged by this disaster, but let us not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long"From Asymmetrical Information:
"It seems to me that the poor should have had the EASIEST time leaving. They don't need to pay for an extended leave from their home, they could have just packed a few belongings and walked away to start over somewhere else. What did they have to lose? When the wealthy evacuate, they leave behind nice houses, expensive cars, possibly pets that they treat as members of the family, valuable jewelry, family heirlooms, etc. This makes it emotionally difficult for wealthy people to leave. But by definition, the poor do not have this burden: they either rent their homes, or they are in public housing; their cars are practically junk anyway; and they don't have any valuable possessions."
"In the US, the vast majority of people who are poor are poor because they CHOOSE to be poor. I recall a Cato or Heritage paper showing that something like 75% of all people living below the poverty line would be lifted above it if they just worked 40 hours a week on average."
"I just feel sorry for any white people left in that city. I saw video of some white tourists walking aimlessly, dragging their suitcases behind them, looking for help. They said they hadn't seen any police. What a nightmare...white people abandoned in a lawless city full of black people with no police in sight, and no firearms to protect themselves. You can talk all you want about how awful it is to be a racist, but they are the ones who are finding out firsthand the brutal realities of race in this country."
"Speaking purely in economic terms, the situation in New Orleans is actually quite positive, long-term. Yes there is the destruction of the port and that's bad, but consider: 80% of the population evacuated. The remaining 20% stayed, either because they didn't have the means to leave, or because they were just foolish; how much of each is a guess. But in EITHER case, you have to consider that these people were essentially surplus. In other words, the least-functional 20% of the population of New Orleans has been eliminated. That obviously INCREASES the overall functionality of the New Orleans population.I'm not blind to the fact that the people who chose to stay behind are suffering, and that's not good, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. But all things aren't equal. Consider: normally, disasters like this have ALWAYS served to help weed out the less competent."From Right-Thinking From the Left Coast:
"Some of those people look like they can do 4 days with no effect on their physique at all. I’m glad you said that, Flogg. I’ve been wanting to. I know it sounds tacky to say, but it seems like the poorest folks are always the fattest. Especially the women. All those beans and cornbread, I guess."
"I’m sure the last thing these troops ever planned on was going from one war zone right into another, but ultimately order must be restored, and if it means shooting some of the vermin who are using this disaster for their own personal gain, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. Fuck ‘em, kill ‘em all."
From Right-Wing News:
"Watching the films of looters I was struck by the fact they ALL seemed to be people of color. So... martial law should be invoked. We should shoot to kill looters. First, all thieves would be detered by this action. Secondly, we would be thining the ranks of Democrat voters. A win win situation."
"So the storm hits and suddenly they realize -- duh -- we have no food, we have no water, and we're in trouble. So then, if instead of looking for help or trying to move to a place where they'll have easier access to help, they kick in a door and start stealing whatever they want. I have very little sympathy for them -- even if they're taking food, water, and baby food. These people didn't prepare and if they turn to crime because of it, they deserve to be treated like exactly what they are: scumbag criminals."
"-- Looting is theft of somebody's else's goods pure and simple. That's not OK even after a hurricane.
-- Usually, a window or door has to be kicked in to get to the food. So property is being damaged beyond what's being stolen.
-- If you look the other way on looting, you will only encourage more people to act that way. If it's OK to loot food during a hurricane, how many people are going to make the LOGICAL LEAP and say, "OK, why can't I just steal 'necessities' because I want it and don't have the money to pay for it?"
""Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour had it exactly right when he said:"I have instructed the highway patrol and the National Guard to treat looters ruthlessly." Spot-on Haley, spot-on!"
That a boy, Haley. Get them niggers. Get em all. Get them sheets out people. The KKK is back. We ain't finished with them blackies. Hail Reagan! He got it right."